Thursday, December 09, 2004

Macy's Blew It This Time

To Macy's executive officers and board of directors;
It has come to our attention that Macy's is actively discouraging the acknowledgement of Christmas and Christianity as being central to this holiday season. "Happy holidays" and "trying to make all religions feel welcome" is a lame token gesture and it disrespects the primary American faith, Christianity. The honoring of Christianity does not exclude other faiths.
Please register our extreme disagreement with your position. My wife and I have been loyal Macy's customers for years and we're proud to be such.
Your legacy with the celebration of this sacred season has been an important part of what makes America such a wonderful place to live.
For you to take such a destructive and politically correct posture related to Christmas and Christianity is a cowardly act in our estimation. You are bowing to the hypersensitive few who believe that freedom of religion should mean freedom FROM religion. We find that outrageously offensive!
Our future as Macy's customers is being seriously reconsidered. You have many worthy competitors. Perhaps it is time you watched “Miracle on 34th Street” once again.
Don't forget what made you great.
Merry Christmas,
Jim and Paula Cathcart

PS we will be copying this message to all our friends who might shop Macy's.
PPS Please do not send us a form-letter reply justifying your actions. Nothing can justify this insult to Christianity.

1 comment:

Jim Cathcart's Blog said...

Hello Lisia, thank you for your heartfelt reply. I take it from your response that your worldview is not "Christian" but rather a view that you feel is more enlightened and evolved. Therein lies the essence of our difference.
I am a Christian and I believe strongly in that truth. Note that I do not just "choose" this point of view, I heartily embrace it! I really think that it is the truth about our existence.
As Christians go I am probably more liberal than many, in that I don't take every word of the Bible literally. Some stories seem to be told to convey an overall message rather than to be an accurate account of exactly what happened. However, I do believe that every word of the Bible is the inspired word of God.
That said, I stand behind my belief that Macy's was out of line in diminishing Christmas.

You replied: "The idea that Macy's or any business should ignore customers of less popular faiths in order to pay tribute to the largest religious following is ridiculous."
I would agree with you. Macy's should not "ignore customers of less popular faiths..." All people deserve respect and to be treated with dignity. The essence of customer relations is the respect and service of all customers regardless of the size of their transactions. But I did not suggest ignoring others. I called for the respecting of Christianity.

You also said: "Isn't it simpler and more economically efficient for them to
express holiday sentiments in one gesture rather than having to make
several? "
Of course it is simpler to lump everyone into one generic 'special season' and it is more efficient to have one all-encompassing statement of goodwill. If simplicity were the issue I'd have no quarrel with you. Simplicity is not the path to a relationship. It is an effort to save time and energy by ignoring individuality. For example; I could greet everyone with a simple "hello" and a smile and save much time over saying "Merry Christmas (or Happy Hanukkah, or Kwanzaa, or Easter, or Memorial Day, and so on), Welcome to Macy's. My name is Jim, how may I help you today?" Simplicity isn't the goal.
And, by the way, I believe that it is a good idea to acknowledge all significant holidays. I'm not offended if someone greets me with "Shalom" or "Happy Hanukkah" or whatever. If it's that day on the calendar or that season and decorations everywhere are proclaiming it, then offer the greeting. The fact that someone greets me with good wishes on his or her special holiday is courteous, not insensitive.
A corollary to this is the cynical reply one sometimes gets to "Good Morning." The cynic says, "what's so good about it?" (I'd be tempted to reply, "I wasn't commenting on the quality of the morning, I was wishing you a good one. And on second thought, I take it back!") Humor intended.

You further replied: "And why should a gesture of inclusiveness upset you and cause you to re-think your patronage?"
"Inclusiveness" is the problem. Not the concept, (it is fine and honorable), but rather the way it is usually practiced. In this instance, Macy's wasn't being inclusive as a welcome to others, it was being "inclusive" so as to avoid being criticized by the crowd that is hyper-sensitive to any mention that doesn't focus on their needs or that honors other groups. That is paranoia. Macy's was being cowardly in their attempt to avoid criticism.
I believe that everyone is worthy of respect and every religion that honors life is also worthy of respect. It does NOT in any way require that we ignore Christmas if we want to honor others in their special times. Nor does one have to be a Christian in order to convey Merry Christmas wishes, or any other.
America is primarily Christian, just as other countries are primarily Muslim, Hindu or whatever. When in that country it is right and proper to honor and acknowledge their dominant Holy season.

And thank you for letting me know that the blogger sign up function is not working.