Saturday, December 20, 2008

Motorcycling Mulholland Highway


By Jim Cathcart

This week the 10th annual Tiger Woods Chevron World Challenge Golf Tournament is being played here at Sherwood Country Club and after a morning workout followed by roaming the golf course with the players I decided to go for a motorcycle ride. A day of self-indulgence, Ahhhhh. Life is sweet. 

I recently bought a FlipVideo Mino video recorder. It's small enough for a pants pocket and has a mounting clip for my motorcycle's handlebars. Plus it records sound and self-focuses and adjusts for lighting. It's perfect for what I did today. 

I mounted it to my motorcycle, first on the back for a rear view and then on the front as I rode through Sherwood and Decker Canyon Road and up to Mulholland Highway. I then rode to The Rock Store, the famous motorcycle cafe hangout where all the movie stars like to congregate. Jay Leno is a regular there. Here's a photo of him that I took with my phone when he drove up in a Deusenberg one Sunday. Followed by a shot of the typical gathering of bikes there. 
Well today I affixed my trust FlipVideo to my bike and took off to ride my favorite roads. I've uploaded a portion of the ride to YouTube so you can see what it looks and feels like from the cockpit of my FJR1300 on a typical solo ride. (I ride slower with a back seat passenger.) On this ride I rode slower in the curves when there was shade because the road was wet & cold there. 
 
Above is a Yamaha factory photo of my bike. 

Anyway, it was a great ride and I hope you get a bit of the joy that I experienced today by watching this 4 minute video. 
Hope you enjoy it. 






No comments: